Make a Difference Now!
Arizona tax law (ARS 43-1089.01) allows taxpayers a tax credit of up to $200 (or $400 per married couple) if they contribute to extracurricular activities in public schools. Extracurricular activities such as sports, band, speech and debate, or overnight field trips are generally not fully funded by school districts. These programs depend on fees collected from students.
IT’S YOUR CHOICE
You may donate less than $200 and be eligible to receive the state tax credit in the amount of your donation. The amount you donate — up to $200 (or $400 per married couple) — will be the amount you may claim as a state tax credit.
Tax Credit Facts
- A single individual or head of household, the tax credit is $200.
- $400 state tax credit is available for taxpayers who are married and filing jointly.
- You may split your $400 donation among more than one public school, but will still qualify for a maximum state credit of $400.
- Your donation reduces your taxable income to the federal government, thereby reducing your tax burden to the federal government usually by 1/3 of the donation amount.
- A state tax credit will allow you to reduce the amount of tax liability to the state or increase your refund from the state. If you donate the maximum $400, your Arizona tax bill would be $400 less or your refund will be up to $400 more.
Find out more on our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
Make the Best Choice
The City of Phoenix has created tools to help with your decision to donate to local school districts most in need. Use the maps below to explore the education community in Phoenix.
- Open the map legend by selecting the question mark on the top right.
- Click on a school district to reveal important tax credit details. You can also zoom in to select a school for additional demographic and school performance information.
- Use the search function to find schools near an address.
- Select one of the following links to see donation information from last year's tax season.
Download tax credit information for all school districts in Phoenix in an Excel spreadsheet.
For more information regarding the Arizona School Tax Credit for Individuals or to find non-Phoenix schools which are eligible, visit the State of Arizona Department of Revenue page.