Elections Services 602-261-8683
- Conducts regularly scheduled City of Phoenix Mayor and Council elections every odd numbered year.
- Provides information about candidacy to citizens interested in running for City elective office.
- Accepts nomination petitions and other required documents to enable candidates to run for City elective office.
- Verifies signatures and certifies sufficiency or insufficiency of all nomination petitions.
- Conducts all special City elections as required by citizen initiative or by Council order.
- Tracks and enforces filing of required candidate and political committee campaign finance reports.
- The City of Phoenix is the second largest election jurisdiction in the state (second to Maricopa County) with almost 575,000 registered voters. (March 2012)
- There are more than 325,000 City voters on the permanent early voting list to automatically receive an early ballot by mail for each election. (March 2012)
Initiative, Referendum and Recall Petition Services 602-262-6837
- Provides information to citizens regarding the initiative, referendum and recall petition processes.
- Accepts applications and other legal documents for the petition processes.
- Verifies signatures and certifies sufficiency or insufficiency of all such petitions.
- A successful initiative petition requires 25,480 valid signatures.*
- A successful referendum petition requires 16,987 valid signatures.*
*Valid signatures are those of registered voters residing in Phoenix.
- Handles citizen inquiries and requests regarding the annexation process.
- Conducts annexations in accordance with State law and initiates public notices and Council actions to effectuate annexations.
- Communicates and coordinates with City departments to ensure that proposed annexations are reviewed by Departments and annexed areas receive appropriate City services.
- Annexed 23 areas in FY 2007-08 comprised of .86 square miles and $2,988,623 in assessed valuation.
- Annexed 32 areas in FY 2006-07 comprised of .82 square miles and $1,166,170 in assessed valuation.
- Annexed 18 areas in FY 2005-06 comprised of 1.20 square miles and $3,655,907 in assessed valuation.
Emergency Operations Center (602) 262-6837
- During city emergency situations, operates a citizen information hotline to provide accurate public safety information to the public.
- Provides general information on highly publicized events.
Number of Staff: 13
Temporary Staff: Up to 20
Phoenix City Hall, 15th floor
Elections Annex, 2640 S. 22nd Ave.