Q. Does the City of Phoenix have or require a “general” business license?
A. No, the City of Phoenix does not have or require a “general” business license. Only certain activities are regulated, and require a license/permit from the City of Phoenix.
Depending on your business activity/set-up you may need licenses/permits/approvals from the following City of Phoenix Departments:
- Amusements: Coin Operated Games, Rides, Concessionaires, Game Centers, Pool Halls & Teenage Dance Halls
- Auction Houses & Auctioneers
- Curb painters
- Escort Bureaus & Escorts
- Massage Establishments & Managers
- Sexually Oriented Businesses & Managers, Adult Cabaret Performers & Erotic Entertainers
- Vending: Street Vending, Mobile Vending, Secondhand Dealers, Scrap Metal Dealers, and Swap Meet Lots.
- Liquor Licenses
- Off-track Betting
Planning and Development Department: Building & Zoning Permits
Parks & Recreation: Permits for Events in City Parks & Streets
Fire Department: Public Assembly & Tents/Canopy Permits
Police Department: Alarm Business & Alarm Agent Permits
Film Office: Film & Digital Media Permit
>> If you will also be conducting business in any surrounding cities, please check with each of those individual cities on any rules, regulations or requirements to conduct business there.
Other State/County licensing/permitting:
AZ Department of Liquor License & Control: State Liquor License
AZ Department of Revenue: State Privilege Tax License
AZ Corporation Commission: Create/Register a Corporation or LLC
AZ Secretary of State: Register a Trade Name
Maricopa County Environmental Health: Food Program Permits