About Management Technical Assistance
Growing and expanding a business can be very challenging. Success requires good planning and sound business management skills. In 1994, the Phoenix City Council established the Small Business Assistance Program to help small business owners address such challenges and provide a one stop shop of technical and financial assistance.
Services Provided by MTA
The Management Technical Assistance (MTA) Program offers small business owners the opportunity to work with experienced consultants at no cost. This is made possible by a Community Development Block Grant sponsored by the U.S. Housing and Urban Development Department.
General Business and Marketing
- Business plans
- Business risk assessments
- Marketing plans
- Information Technology Systems
Business Needs Assessment
- Accounting systems
- Break-even analyses
- Working capital needs
- Operational reporting systems and procedures
Financing and Loan Packaging
- Financial statements
- Loan applications
- Cash Flow Analysis
- Public and private procurement
Workforce Development and Human Resource Planning
- Recruitment and retention
- Training and productivity
- Benefits and compensation
- Quality Control
Eligibility for MTA
To be eligible for the MTA Program, the business must be located in the city of Phoenix. Also, the business must meet at least one of the following qualifications:
- Business is a micro enterprise (fewer than 5 employees) and the owner is considered to have low or moderate income.
- Business is located in a high-poverty census tract and owner agrees to expand with the help of this program by creating a job for a low/moderate income individual within two years of receiving management technical assistance.
Apply for MTA
- Download the two-part application: Part 1 Part 2.
- Check your eligibility based on this map of Poverty Census Tracks.
- Complete, print, and sign the application.
- Send the application to:
Community and Economic Development Department
200 West Washington Street, 20th floor
Phoenix, Arizona 85003-1611 Or via fax: 602-495-5097, ATTN: MTA Program
Questions and Concerns?
If you should have any questions about filling out the application, please contact Kedrick Ellison at 602-262-6007.