Creating a Resume for city of Phoenix Jobs – Recommended Guidelines
(See also Creating a Cover Letter for Phoenix Jobs)
To ensure that all of your experience and education are given full consideration during the selection process, we recommend the following guidelines to assist you, including a sample resume for reference.
- Objective Statement: Provide a brief statement including the specific job title.
- Education: Identify your educational background by listing your degree, field of study, and school. If you have not yet completed your degree, the education you have completed can be considered if you include the number of credit hours earned and your projected graduation date.
- Experience: Prepare your resume in a chronological format identifying the dates of your work experience in a month/year format, beginning with your present or most recent position. Describe your employment history, for at least the past five years. Be sure to include all employment history relevant to the position you are applying for, even if it is more than five years ago. Include job titles, names of the organizations you worked for, duties, and number of employees you supervised (if applicable). Include relevant information requested in the job announcement, this ensures that you will receive full consideration for your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience. List the last salary (estimates are acceptable) for each position – this will help the analyst compare and match job titles from different organizations.
- Additional Skills and Training: Include all relevant part-time or volunteer experience, and training.
- Use plain white standard sized paper (8 ½ x 11 inches) as your resume may be photocopied.
- Qualifications will be evaluated based on the information you provide in your resume and cover letter. The amount of experience you have and the way you describe it will determine whether you advance to the next step of the recruitment process.
- Please do not include personal information such as age, marital status, number of children, religion, health, etc., in your resume or cover letter.
- As a general guideline, resumes should be between 1 – 3 pages, depending on your experience and the level of the position you are applying for.