To perform any installation, modification, testing or servicing on fire alarm systems, automatic sprinklers, portable fire extinguishing systems, underground fire lines, hood systems, or special suppression systems within the City of Phoenix a contractor must first obtain a City of Phoenix Fire Department Business Certificate.
In addition each job site shall be overseen by a qualified representative of the contractor referred to as a Competent Party. Below are the registration procedures for both obtaining a Business Certificate and becoming a Competent Party.
If we are currently registered with you do we need to re-test and/or re-register
You will need to re-register three years from the Business Certificate issue date. You will need to re-test/re-register with Compliance Services and Assessments according to the card expiration date.
The Business Certificate Holder must meet one of these qualifications:
- Hold a NICET III or higher for the appropriate fire protection system
Be a Certified Professional Engineer
- Have a valid Business Certificate Holder Compliance Services and Assessments (CSA) certification for the fire protection system you are registering for.
What are the fees associated with registering:
- Business Certificate will be assessed a $135 registration fee payable to the City of Phoenix. This is only for the business permit through Fire Prevention. Additional fees for testing are collected through CSA or NICET.
If I pass the Business Certificate Holder CSA exam do I also need to take the Competent Party Assessment to satisfy the on-site requirement:
- No. The requirement is for a person that is at least a Competent Party be on each job-site. The Business Certificate Holder CSA assessment is at a higher level and therefore, surpasses the minimum qualifications.
When will we need to have a Competent Party on each job-site:
- We began to enforce the on-site requirement as of September 1, 2006. If you do not have at minimum Competent Party on the job-site the inspection process will cease.
For questions please contact Liz DeLaCruz at 602-262-6771