Bret Tarver Sprinkler Ordinance
In 2001 Firefighter Bret Tarver died in a building that had no fire sprinklers. That loss inspired Phoenix be more proactive in sprinkler requirements and the resulting action was the creation of the Tarver Ordinance, Section 903.2 Phoenix Fire Code.
For Additional Residential Sprinkler Information click HERE.
International Fire Code with Phoenix Amendments - Chapter 9
Effective: June 17, 2002
Revised: December 13, 2002, January 12,2005, May 3, 2006, August 30, 2006 Ordinance G-4821, February 17, 2007, Ordinance G-4859, January 30, 2008 Ordinance G-5082, March 4, 2009 Ordinance G-5308
903.2 Bret Tarver Sprinkler Ordinance. An approved automatic sprinkler system shall be installed throughout all levels of all new Groups A, B, E, F, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, and S occupancies of more than zero square feet and throughout all Group R-3 occupancies built under the International Residential Code and U occupancies of more than 5,000 square feet.
The calculated area of Group R-3 occupancies shall include all livable space and the area of any attached garage and carports, aircraft hangar or areas located under living spaces.
Automatic sprinkler systems shall be installed in accordance with NFPA 13 for Group A, B, E, F, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4 and S occupancies. NFPA 13R for residential occupancies up to and including four stories in height, in groups R-1, R-2, R-4 occupancies and NFPA 13D for one- and two-family dwellings and mobile homes in Group R-3 and R-4 occupancies with 6-10 licensed beds. Exceptions to or reductions in code requirements are not allowed for the installation of residential sprinkler systems installed in accordance with NFPA 13R and NFPA 13D unless specifically allowed by the International Building Code.
- Detached gazebos, temporary tents and ramadas for residential and public use.
- Independent buildings such as restrooms or snack shops 600 square feet or less that are of non-combustible construction associated with golf courses, parks, and similar uses.
- Guardhouses that are less than 300 square feet in size used to control access to or within residential and/or commercial developments of combustible construction or 600 square feet or less that are of non-combustible construction.
- Detached equipment or storage buildings for commercial use not exceeding 300 square feet.
- Detached non-combustible canopies used exclusively for automotive, motor fuel-dispensing stations not exceeding 5,000 square feet or detached non-combustible carports or parking canopies regardless of size.
- Manufactured (Mobile) homes built on a permanent chassis designed, built and occupied as a dwelling unit and recreational vehicles that were not site built and are portable in nature.
- Factory built buildings utilized as temporary office buildings similar to real estate leasing offices and construction offices.
903.2.1 Retrofit. Existing buildings are required to comply with the provisions of 903.2.1 when any of the following apply:
903.2.1.1 Retrofit in R-3 occupancies. Existing R-3 occupancies shall be protected by an automatic fire sprinkler system when:
1. One or more additions are made within any 3 year period and;
2. The aggregate of the additions exceeds 50 percent of the square footage of the house as of June 17, 2002; and
3. The new total area of the building is greater than 5,000 square feet.
The calculated area of Group R-3 occupancies shall include all livable space and the area of any attached garage, carports, aircraft hangar or basement.
903.2.1.2 Retrofit in all other occupancies.
903.2.1.2.1 Building Additions. Building additions in existing occupancies other than R-3 shall be protected by an automatic fire sprinkler when:
Building additions equaling 50 percent or more of the existing building floor area, or exceeding 10,000 square feet; whichever is less.
Two or more building permits related to increased square footage are issued over any three consecutive years where:
2.1 The aggregate of the additions exceeds 50 percent of the square footage of the building as of June 17, 2002.
2.2 The new total area of the building is greater than 10,000 square feet
903.2.1.2.2 Building remodels. An automatic fire sprinkler system shall be installed when 50 percent or more of the roof assembly is replaced or repaired due to fire damage or structure failure or, when the removal of existing fire rated assemblies results in an increase of the original basic allowable area.
903.2.1.2.3 Change of occupancy within hazard level 1. An automatic fire sprinkler system shall be installed when a building, regardless of the building area, undergoes a change of occupancy within hazard level 1 as defined by Table 903.2.1.3.
903.2.1.2.4 Change of occupancy over 2,500 square feet. An automatic fire sprinkler system shall be installed in any building 2,500 square feet or greater that undergoes a change of occupancy.
903.2.1.2.5 Change of occupancy under 2,500 square feet. An automatic fire sprinkler system shall be installed in any building under 2,500 square feet that undergoes a change of occupancy to a higher hazard level as defined by Table 903.2.1.3.
Exception: An automatic fire sprinkler system is not required when:
1. the occupancy is 1,500 square feet or less and
2. there are openings entirely above the adjoining ground level totaling at least 20 square feet in each 50 linear feet or fraction thereof, of exterior wall in the story on at least one side. Openings shall have a minimum dimension of not less than 30 inches. Such openings shall be accessible to the fire department from the exterior and shall not be obstructed in a manner that fire fighting or rescue cannot be accomplished from the exterior, and
3. the occupancy is not classified as H.
1997 UFC Building
2006 IFC Building
|1 (Highest)||H, I, A, R-1||H, I, A, R-1, R-2, R-4|
|2||S-1, S-5, F-1||S-1, F-1|
|3||E, F-2, S-2, S-3, S-4||E, F-2, S-2, S-3|
|4 (Lowest)||B, M, U, R-3||B, M, U, R-3|