Jan. 11, 2013
Caption:Mayor Greg Stanton
Mayor Greg Stanton will travel to Washington, D.C. next week for the U.S. Conference of Mayors 81st Winter Meeting.
Stanton, the chair of the conference’s Defense Transition Task Force, will hold a task force meeting with mayors from across the country to discuss “round two” of Congressional budget cuts, including sequestration and hits to cities’ defense industries. Arizona has the fifth largest defense industry in the nation, and Arizona stands to lose more than 33,000 jobs if Congress fails to deal with sequestration, according to a George Mason University study.
Stanton also will lead a panel discussion with Mayor Raul Salinas from Laredo, Texas, on trade and economic development, immigration reform and security challenges to the U.S. border region.
“I look forward to rolling up my sleeves and getting to work with mayors on protecting Phoenix and cities nationwide from job loss and looming cuts of sequestration,” Stanton said. “Partnering with Mayor Salinas on border issues will be a boost to our states’ diverse economies, especially in terms of fostering our business relationship with Mexico, our No. 1 trading partner.”
Stanton’s U.S. Conference of Mayors Schedule
Thursday, Jan. 17
- 9 a.m. ET: Immigration Reform Task Force meeting with Mayor Raul Salinas of Laredo, Texas
- 11 a.m. ET: Innovation & Technology Task Force with San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee
- 12:30 p.m. ET: Plenary Luncheon with Vice President Joe Biden
- 3 p.m. ET: Defense Transition Task Force, Mayor Stanton will moderate panel featuring Darrel Thompson from Office of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, discussion focus sequestration
- 6:30 p.m. ET: Opening reception
- 7:30 p.m. ET: Technology & Innovation Reception with Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter and San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee
Friday, Jan. 18
- 9:30 a.m. ET: Plenary session with Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter
- 12:30 p.m. ET: Panel discussion on Healthy Living with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg
- 2:30 p.m. ET: Panel discussion on Healthy Aging, mayor will serve on panel
- 4 p.m. ET: 21st Century Border Initiative, Mayor Stanton and Mayor Raul Salinas of Laredo, Texas, will talk about trade, economic development, immigration and security challenges on the border
- 7:30 p.m. ET: Freedom to Marry Reception, attending
Saturday, Jan. 19
- Various conference meetings throughout the day (TBD)
- 6:30 p.m. ET U.S. Conference of Mayors Inauguration Reception