Oct. 18, 2012
This week and next, eight Valley schools will collect plastic bags as part of a recycling contest to celebrate the five-year anniversary of Bag Central Station. Residents can bring clean, receipt-free plastic bags to Bag Central Stations at Bashas' and Food City stores to help the school in their area win prizes. The contest is a partnership between the city of Phoenix, Arizona Food Marketing Alliance (AFMA) and the Bashas’, Food City and AJ’s family of stores.
“This is a great partnership between the city and the business community in an effort to reduce waste and educate our children about recycling,” said Phoenix City Councilman Bill Gates.
City Council members selected the schools, and the winning school will be awarded $1,000 at a news conference on Thursday, Nov. 15. Bags for the following schools may be dropped off at these stores until Friday, Oct. 26:
- Imagine Bell Canyon – Bashas’, 731 E. Union Hills Drive
- Foothills Elementary – Food City, 3202 E. Greenway Road
- Orangewood School – Bashas’, 5555 N. Seventh St.
- Isaac Middle School – Food City, 4239 W. McDowell Road
- Tomahawk Elementary – Food City, 9020 W. Thomas Road
- St. John Bosco School – Bashas’, 4855 E. Warner Road
- Valley View Elementary – Food City, 845 W. Southern Ave.
- Lowell Elementary – Food City, 7227 S. Central Ave.
The partnership also created public service announcements and a two-minute educational video featuring Councilman Gates and the Phoenix Suns’ Gorilla to educate the public about the right way to recycle plastic bags. These videos may be viewed on the city’s YouTube channel at youtube.com/cityofphoenixaz.
|Stephanie Ribodal Romero