Nov. 15, 2012
Dozens of entries with hundreds of thousands of lights will brighten the streets of central Phoenix Dec. 1 when the APS Fiesta of Light Electric Light Parade returns for the 26th straight year. Entries for the 2012 parade will be interpreting the theme “Toys, Treasures and Traditions.” Classic Disney character Goofy, dressed in Santa garb, will serve as the parade’s Grand Marshal.
The parade gets under way at 7 p.m. on Central Avenue at Montebello (just south of Bethany Home Road), heads south to Camelback Road, where it turns east to 7th Street where it turns south to the end point at Indian School Road. Comprehensive event information is online at phoenix.gov/parks or by phone at 602-534-FEST.
Parade lovers also can come out during parade judging on Friday, Nov. 30 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the event staging area at North Phoenix Baptist Church to see all motorized entries lit up for official review. Students from Arizona State University’s College of Public Programs will be on hand that night with free kids activities, and children also can visit with Santa. Visitors to the judging can enter the staging area at the church parking lot entrance on Montebello Road just east of Central Avenue.
Below are some tips for those planning on attending the Electric Light Parade:
- Consider taking Light Rail to the event and avoiding traffic congestion. The parade route runs right next to the Light Rail stop on Central Avenue, just south of Camelback.
- The parade is a rain or shine event. Check the weather forecast and dress accordingly.
- Spectators are encouraged to bring blankets and chairs for seating.
- Coolers are permitted, though alcohol and glass containers are not allowed.
- Viewing spots along the parade route are first-come-first-served. Spectators often start arriving three or more hours before parade time to reserve spots.
- Parking is available on city streets around the parade route and also is on a first-come-first-served basis. Private lots near the parade area often offer parking for a fee.
The APS Electric Light Parade is produced by the Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department. In addition to entry fees and the title sponsorship of APS, these crucial partners and sponsors also helped to make the parade possible: ABC15, KEZ 99.9, North Phoenix Baptist Church, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, Republic Services, Phoenix VA Health Care System, Arizona Diamondbacks, Phoenix Suns, Arizona Blue Stake, IBEW #387, Keep Phoenix Beautiful, Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station, Classic Party Rentals, Holiday Lights Decorating, Michael A. Pollack Real Estate Investments, United Rentals and Arizona State University’s College of Public Programs.
|Parks and Recreation Department||602-534-FEST|