The Circle of Life
The Circle of Life lies at the heart of the 75-acre park. This wide circular walkway encompasses the three historic buildings remaining on site from the old Phoenix Indian School. In the center of this area is a water cistern. Etched into the concrete around the cistern is a poem that explains the Native American design theme of the park. The Circle of Life is 600 feet in diameter and features 24 interpretive columns depicting the history of the Phoenix Indian School.
Dog park features both large & small dog areas and features separate fenced turf areas for each. The area offers both large and small dog sections, both of which provide "Mutt-Mitt" dispensers and trash receptacles. The small dog section is intended for those under 20 pounds. Pet owners can enjoy shade trees and picnic table seating, although food is not allowed in the off-leash area. The Dog Park is open during Park Operation Hours of 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. Parking can be accessed off of 7th Street just north of the VA Hospital. Please note that the dog park will be closed from April 16 through April 24 due to a large special event at the park. The nearest Phoenix off-leash area is at PetSmart Dog Park at Washington Park.
(Pictured here - Originally built in 1922, it just finished extensive renovation)
Memorial Hall is available to rent for various functions. We offer a stunning setting for special arts presentations, performances, meetings, and community space. The outstanding acoustics of this building makes it an ideal facility for choral and musical presentations. Memorial Hall is available for rental by private, public, commercial and nonprofit groups. The facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To check availability call (602) 534-8659.
American Indian Veterans Memorial Site
The American Indian Veterans Memorial Organization is created to establish a memorial to honor the American Indian veterans of all wars and to establish a place for such veterans, thier families, and thier friends to gather and pay tribute to living and deceased American Indian veterans.
The two historic buildings will be renovated as funds become available:
- Band Building – Built in 1933, this building was originally the elementary school and in later years became the band building. Future use: Museum/Administrative Offices.
- Dining Hall – Built in 1901. Future use: Native American Cultural Center.
Leading from the Circle of Life is the Arbor Bridge (pictured on the park's main web page) that leads into the 15-acre Entry Garden, which also makes use of circular form. The garden features a spiraling walkway that gradually descends down into the earth; a trail meant for contemplation and meditation. Native American poems are etched into the concrete, and native desert plants adorn the path as it winds its way toward a cistern at the end of the trail.
Neighborhood Park Neighborhood Park
The 15-acre Neighborhood Park on the north side of the park features a playground, two half-court basketball courts and sand volleyball courts. Ramadas provide shade for picnics and parties and provide shelter for parents supervising their children.
Amphitheater and Bird Lake
The performance or stage area of the outdoor amphitheater is 60 feet in diameter and is large enough for a full symphony orchestra. There is a waterfall on the north side of the amphitheater, which is directly off of the 2.5-acre bird shaped lake. The rubble wall of the waterfall is recycled from the old Phoenix Indian School. The architect saved the WPA (Works Progress Administration) stamps from the old sidewalks and incorporated these into the rubble walls throughout the park. The seating area of the amphitheater has a 1500-person capacity in grass seating and is available for rental. Fees do apply.
The Phoenix Green features thirty acres of rolling grass terrain, meandering walkways and clusters of trees. The raised walkways follow a canal runnel that feeds the lake and provides water to the grass fields of the Phoenix Green. This area of the Park is designed to be a shady oasis with a mix of larger-scale deciduous and evergreen trees that provide a backdrop for the entire site. The Phoenix Green is accessed by a Park entrance off of Seventh Street and also has five family-size picnic ramadas and restrooms.