- Apprentice licenses are valid for one year. If the license is renewed before it expires, a notarized letter is not required.
- If your license expires, you will need to re-apply. See how to apply for specific instructions.
- Journeyman licenses are valid for 36 months from the date of issuance.
- Expired licenses will not be renewed. A new license will be issued only after the applicant successfully completes the initial test required of all candidates for new journeyman licenses.
- Renewal examinations consist of three separate "open book" examinations (i.e., Plumber, Mechanical, or Gas Fitter). The minimum passing grade is 70%. Failure to pass any renewal examination will require the candidate to retake and pass the initial journeyman test.
- The renewal information letter and exams will be mailed to the licensee's most current address on file approximately one month prior to the expiration date. The applicant has a 60-day grace period from the date the license expires to return answer sheets and payment for grading and processing.
- The renewal fee for individual licenses and combination licenses (e.g., Plumbing & Gas Fitter, or Mechanical & Gas Fitter) is per the fee schedule. Prior to the license being issued, the fee must be received. This fee is non-refundable.
Testing is based on the following:
- 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code and city of Phoenix Amendments.
- 20 Questions.
- 2006 International Mechanical Code and city of Phoenix Amendments.
- 20 Questions.
- 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code and any Code Amendments.
- 10 Questions.
Amendments are available through:
Builder's Book Depot
1001 E. Jefferson St., Suite #5
Hours: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m., Monday-Friday
International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO)
For additional information, call Planning & Development at 602-495-3668, or visit us at 438 W. Adams St., Phoenix, AZ 85003.