Testing is based on the following:
- Plumbing - Based upon requirements found in the 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code.
- Mechanical - Based upon requirements found in the 2006 International Mechanical Code.
- Gas Fitter - Based upon requirements found in the 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code.
- Minimum overall grade to pass each examination = 75%
- Minimum grade to pass any individual segment of the test(s) = 65%
100 Questions (Multiple Choice)
20 Waste & Vent Sizing Questions from drawing provided
20 Domestic Water Sizing Questions from drawing provided
- Gas Fitter
40 Questions (Multiple Choice)
15 Natural Gas Sizing Questions from drawing provided
100 Questions (Multiple Choice and True/False)
Study Resources and Code Books are available from:
- Builders Book Depot
1001 E. Jefferson Street, Suite #5
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
- International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO).
- Spacing is limited. If you cannot attend your on scheduled testing date, call 602-495-3668 to cancel or reschedule.
- All journeymen tests are held every other Friday at 9 a.m. by appointment only at the Planning & Development Department, 438 W. Adams St. The specific training room will be indicated in the confirmation letter.
- Various parking garages and pre-pay parking lots are within the area of the testing location. Parking is available in the 305 parking garage on the southwest corner of 3rd Avenue and Washington. Tickets will be validated before or after the test for a reduced rate. Applicants will not be allowed to leave the testing area once the exam begins, so parking at a parking meter is not recommended.
- License and/or test results will be mailed in approximately three to five business days. Test scores will be included; however, specific questions will not be reviewed and/or discussed.
- Journeyman licenses are valid for 36 months from the date of issuance.
- Expired licenses will not be renewed. A new license will be issued only after the applicant successfully completes the initial test required of all applicants for new journeyman licenses.
For additional information, call Planning & Development at 602-495-3668, or visit us at 438 W. Adams St., Phoenix, AZ 85003.