As a water supplier, the city of Phoenix is obligated to protect its public water supply from the possibility of contamination or pollution by enacting and enforcing a containment (secondary) backflow prevention program.
The Phoenix Uniform Plumbing Code protects the public water supply and private on-site water supply and distribution systems by prohibiting cross-connections between potable (suitable for drinking) and non-potable water systems, and by requiring installation of primary and secondary backflow prevention methods. Secondary backflow methods provide an increased level of protection for the public water supply system.
To learn more, please click on the links below.
- Backflow Administrative Requirements
- Backflow Preventer Requirements for Fire Protection Systems
- Backflow Preventer Location for Secondary Protection
- Backflow Tester Requirements, Customer Responsibilities
- Backflow Prevention Permit Exception Interpretation
Note: The Planning & Development Department can not release a list of approved backflow prevention assemblies, which is available to USC members only. However, for information on listed approved backflow assemblies, contact Backflow Prevention at 602-534-2140.
- Backflow Standard Detail P1351
- Backflow Standard Detail P1352
- Backflow Standard Detail P1353
- Backflow Standard Detail P1354
- Backflow Standard Detail P1355
- Backflow Standard Detail P1356
- Backflow Standard Detail W-317
- Recognized List of Backflow Testers
- Tester Application Packet
- Introductory Letter for New Test Companies
- New Test Company Requisites
- Tester Application
- Penalties for Noncompliance
- Backflow, Procedure for Renewal or Reinstatement
- Backflow Prevention Assembly Test Report
- Backflow Prevention Assembly Test Report Instructions
- Backflow Inspection Over-the-Counter Application
- Backflow Installation Over-the-Counter Application
- Tester Application
Resources and Links
- Phoenix Uniform Plumbing Code, Sections 602 and 603
- Phoenix City Code, Chapter 37, Article XII, Sections 37-141 through 146
- Arizona Administrative Code, Title 18, Chapter 4, Article 215
- University of Southern California Manual, Tenth Edition (to order a copy)
For more information, call 602-534-2140, or Email Backflow.Prevention@phoenix.gov.