Residents can dispose of their yard waste by using a composter or mulcher. City of Phoenix composters (constructed from old garbage cans) can be obtained at a city disposal facility for $5. Call 602-262-7251 or 602-262-6598 for more information.
- Compost in your backyard! Download compost instructions.
- EPA Compost Webpage
- eHow.com "How to Compost in the Desert"
- Learn how to make your own compost. Video from ABC15
Green Organics/Mulching Program
In association with Gro-Well Brands, Inc., the city of Phoenix can grind and process wood and green organics (minus palm fronds and oleanders). Gro-Well operates a mulching processing plant on 20 acres of city-owned land located east of 35th Avenue and south of Lower Buckeye Road. Mulching green organics diverts these compostable materials from our landfill and is healthy for our environment.
How to help us divert green organics from our landfill.
- If you are placing material out for the the quarterly bulk trash service, please separate your green organic material (minus palm fronds and oleanders) from your non-organic material
- Separate the green organics from any food or garbage before arriving to the scale house.
- Notify the Scale House Clerk that you have "clean green organics."
- If you're transporting green organics and garbage in the same trailer/vehicle, please keep the garbage in plastic bags to prevent contamination.