Frequently-Asked Appliance Recycling Questions
Which items are acceptable?
- Water Heaters
- Air Conditioners
- Evaporative Coolers
How do I recycle my old home appliances?
Also, for a nominal fee, you can follow the steps below and schedule a pick up from your residence.
- Put no more than five (5) appliances at front of property just behind the sidewalk or behind the curb if there is no sidewalk. (NOT in alley or in garage/carport).
- Secure doors with tape as a safety precaution.
- Remove any water/food from appliances (they must be empty).
- Call the Solid Waste Customer Service Call Center at 602-262-7251 to set up collection or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to supply the type and quantity of materials to be collected as well as your name, address and phone. Collection will not be possible without this information.
- The Solid Waste Customer Service Call Center will create a service request form for field staff to collect the items.
- Within 1-5 business days, field staff will collect appliances from the residence.
- A solid waste representative will leave a notice at the residence confirming the material has been removed.
- The resident will be billed within two weeks. Please follow the payment guidelines.
How much does this service cost?
The city of Phoenix charges a nominal fee for this service. To verify cost and availability, please contact Solid Waste Customer Service at 602-262-7251 or e-mail email@example.com.
What happens to materials collected?
Materials will be direct hauled from a resident's home to a recycling facility (scrap metal dealer) or to another facility for proper removal of regulated materials, such as refrigerants. After removal of refrigerants, recyclable materials will be taken to a scrap metal dealer.
Any revenues from the sale of scrap materials will be deposited into the Solid Waste Fund and used to offset disposal and other collection costs.
How do I dispose of items not on this list?
Small metal appliances, such as toasters, irons, pots and pans, may be placed in your blue Phoenix Recycles container.
Small lawn mowers and barbecues may also be recycled. Remove all hazardous materials (i.e. gasoline and propane tanks), disassemble the item, and place metal pieces in your blue Phoenix Recycles container. Place non-recyclable materials in your garbage (green or black) container.
See electronics for a list of acceptable materials.