The City of Phoenix Human Services Department provides home delivered meals for elderly and disabled Phoenix residents, through a contracted meal provider, and is funded in part by the Area Agency on Aging, Region One.
The Home delivered meals are available to individuals who are 60 years of age or older and disabled individuals who are homebound by reason of illness, incapacitation, or disability; and individuals who are isolated and unable to prepare adequate, nutritious meals for themselves.
Eligibility is established through the case managements system operated by the Maricopa County Human Services Department. If you are interested in seeing if you qualify for home delivered meals, contact the Area Agency on Aging Senior Help Line at (602) 264-4357 (HELP).
To be eligible for and authorized to receive a home delivered meal, a case manager must certify that the individual meets one of the following criteria:
- Elderly individual 60 years of age or older, including his/her spouse who is less than sixty years of age;
- Disabled individual under 60 years of age who has physical or mental impairment(s) that substantially limit(s) one or more major activities of daily living (ADL);
- Disabled person less than 60 years of age residing with a person 60+ who is authorized for home delivered meals.
The contracted meal provider will deliver meals between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Clients must be home to receive the meal and sign for its receipt. Meals are delivered Tuesday through Friday. Frozen meals are provided if you qualify for weekend meals.
There is no charge for home delivered meals; however, contributions are suggested. Contributions are used to fund and maintain the home delivered program.
Home delivered meal (HDM) program sites:
Deer Valley Kitchen (623) 434-2683
McDowell Place Kitchen (602) 262-6420
Desert West Kitchen (602) 495-3709
Information for current participants:
- Please cancel your meal reservation 24 hours prior to delivery by calling the appropriate HDM program site.
- If you cannot give advance notice call the HDM program site as soon as possible so the delivery person does not attempt to make a delivery to your residence.
- Your food comments are welcome. Tell the delivery person, write the center a note, or call the home delivered meal supervisor. Your comments, good or bad, are appreciated.