The Industrial Pretreatment Program (IPP) is a federally mandated pollution control program under the Clean Water Act. The function is to regulate the discharges of industrial and commercial facilities to the sanitary sewer system.
The goals of the City of Phoenix Pretreatment Program are:
- Prevent the introduction of pollutants into wastewater treatment plants that will interfere with treatment operations.
- Prevent the introduction of pollutants into those plants that will pass through the treatment works and be incompatible with the environment.
- Improve the feasibility of recycling and reclaiming the municipal and industrial wastewaters and biosolids.
- Enforce applicable EPA wastewater quality standards.
- Reduce the health and environmental risk of pollution caused by wastewater discharges to wastewater treatment plants.