April 8, 2013
Mayor Greg Stanton, Councilman Michael Nowakowski and City Manager David Cavazos will lead a delegation of city and business leaders to Mexico City on Wednesday to strengthen economic ties with Arizona’s largest trading partner.
The delegation includes representatives from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, the Greater Phoenix Economic Council, Phoenix Chamber of Commerce, Phoenix Convention and Visitors Bureau and various Phoenix community organizations.
The group will meet with Mexican government and business leaders including the U.S. Ambassador to Mexico, Earl Anthony Wayne and Mexico’s Secretary of Foreign Affairs, José Antonio Meade Kuribreña
The delegation’s schedule includes:
Wednesday, April 10
- Meeting with Senators Ana Guevara and Claudia Pavlovich from the state of Sonora
Thursday, April 11
- Meeting with Earl Anthony Wayne, U.S. Ambassador to Mexico
- Meeting José Antonio Meade Kuribreña, Mexico Secretary of Foreign Affairs
- Meeting with Guillermo Ruiz de Teresa, Director General of Ports and Marine Commercial Shipping, Secretary of Transportation and Communications
- Meeting with Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera
- Meeting with top executives from Volaris Airlines
- City of Phoenix International Business Forum featuring leaders of companies headquartered in Mexico City
Friday, April 12
- Meeting and tour of APL Limited’s Mexico City Headquarters
- Meeting with Manuel Saenz, President of the Mexican Basketball Federation
This is the third trade mission to Mexico that the mayor has led since taking office to strengthen economic and cultural ties across the border.
“Mexico is our biggest trading partner, and we’ve got to continue to foster and further our relationship,” Stanton said. “The more collaboration we can have on Mexico, working with city council members, our business community, leaders and businesses in Mexico to increase our trade relations the better sustainable economic future we can count on for Phoenix.”